Sunday, 3 January 2010

TAST 2007 - running stitch

I wish it was more exciting...........:(

I started with this scrap of dyed and discharged linen/viscose fabric.

I outlined the shapes in running stitch in variegated perle and stranded cotton. Then I thought it needed more and I decided to stuff the lines with yarn and some of the other areas with wadding, trapunto style.

(click on photo for bigger image)

I didn't think ahead, and I stitched right up to the edge, not leaving myself a margin so that I could use this sample later on.

I wish I hadn't bothered!! Never mind, you can't win 'em all....

Well, I couldn't leave it like that!

I had to do something with it:

(click on photo for bigger image)

I'd stitched right to the edges of the piece, so I wondered if I could add an extra strip by applying it to a piece of felt with the needlepunch machine. That worked OK, although I broke my first needle in the process. Then I wondered if I could recreate the stitched and stuffed effect with needlepunching, so I added a bit more on one end using felt, wool tops (roving) and some scraps of silk and tried to harmonise it. That worked quite well too. (bottom picture)

(click on photo for bigger image)

To help the new bit to blend in better, I needle punched some of the unstuffed areas of the original piece and added more running stitches. (middle picture)

Then I decided to make it into something - that turned out to be a textile vessel. There is no back seam, because I needle punched the pieces together before I had finished decorating it. I needle punched wool tops (roving) onto a piece of muslin (scrim), cut it to shape and stitched it in as a lining.

(click on photo for bigger image)

I was about to stitch in a covered cardboard circle for the base, when I read the Week 18 TAST stitch. Now I am tempted to turn it inside out first and add embellishment to the lining with woven wheels.

No comments: