Sunday 3 January 2010

TAST 2007 - fly stitch

This week's stitch is fly stitch. I used it on this postcard:


(click on photo for bigger image)

This is snippings of perle cotton that I unpicked from a previous disaster, needle punched to a piece of commercial felt. Then I added accents of fly stitch in the same thread.

Fire and Ice - a typical English February!

Fly blown!

This is a postcard based on an Egyptian theme from an old research project. During the Develop a Personal Library of Stitches course, I did lots of fly stitch and fly stitch variations - but when I saw this week's Take a Stitch Tuesday challenge my mind leapt to the winged instead of the fibre variety.


(Click on photo for bigger image)

The background fabric is a piece of dyed wool curtain interlining. The motif is a string print on suit weight polyester. The fly stitch is worked in variegated stranded cotton, the buttonhole stitch is in crochet cotton and the running stitch is in perle cotton.

Green fly

I've definitely got flies on the brain this week. While I was digging around in my bits and pieces of samplers, looking for likely victims for needle punching, I found this rejected fly body from an old project.


(Click on photo for bigger image)

This was to be a green fly, but at the time I decided on a blue-bottle and used an alternative body. The top is synthetic dark blue velvet printed with sequins and applied plastic coated fabric in silver with couched metallic threads.
This week's TAST is Fly Stitch. It seemed appropriate, and I fear Sharon has steered me back to the bugs for a bit, so I have just added fly stitch in green and blue perle cotton for texture. Now I've started, I'll have to finish!

(The completed fly is here.)

No comments: